Remember, remember the 5th of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.
Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes
'twas his intent
to blow up the King and the Parliament
Three score barrels of powder below
Poor old England to overthrow
by God's Providence he was catch'd
With a dark lantern and a burning match
Halloa boys, halloa boys, make the bells ring
Halloa boy, halloa boys, God save the King
Hip hip hoorah
I see Bonfire night as a bit like Marmite. You either love it or you hate it. More so if you have pets of a nervous disposition. Add to that peoples inability to show respect for their neighbours by letting of fireworks with the noise level of a howitzer after midnight and you can see why the love/hate relationship exists.
I however love it but then again I do love my English traditions. My Aunt lives in a village whereby the local residents had a flaming torch procession to the village green before reciting the poem and setting the bonfire alight. Bit too "Wicker Man" for some but I love the fact that the passing of 400 years isn't enough to fade the memories of our country's history.
This rather fabulous pile of bricks is a short drive from where we reside
(pic taken from Wikipedia)
It is to this house that some of the co-conspiritors fled. Coughton Court (pronounced Coe-ton) is a National Trust property and is still inhabited by one of the members of the Throckmorton family who I believe have had the house since the 1400's. Pretty impressive that they've managed to hang on to it for so long!
If you're celebrating Bonfire night then stay safe. If you're not then turn up the TV or the radio and hope it's all over soon. We shall be celebrating with some fireworks in the comfort of our own back garden.
Apologies for the lack of blogging lately. It's been a funny old week with motorbike accidents involving Mr Bitsy (thankfully he's OK but been off work all week), bit of soul searching jobswise and some consideration of my spirituality and where it lies.
Conclusions are I am to become a SAHM and that I am officially a Pagan. Week of discovery I think.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave a message, speak after the beep ;)