Tuesday, 13 September 2011

Nearly Free Food?

Not 100% having paid for food items in the first place but getting something extra from leftovers. Having hung around the OS boards on Moneysavingexpert for a while now I realise I am not quite as OS hardcore as I like to think. People make lots of references to using the parts of veg that others aka moi throw away to make soup. "Madness" screams my inner food phobias. Some say fussy I say food phobia ;) When I sit and think about it I find eating other people's food mighty uncomfortable at times. I remember having a quite restricted palate and finding textures of some foods unpleasant (still do actually). Not hard to see why pup1 has ended up with ASD, that apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
I digress however. Having purchased some bargain fresh broccoli and cauliflower I duly trimmed off the florets and left the stems to compost. Which when I decided to push the boat out and use them to make some soup.

Nope this is not something you'd take to the Doctor to be tested, I saved the water I blanched the veg in before freezing. I figured it would be loaded with good stuff from the veg.
I added a couple of potatoes which as you can see made it a bit thick. I thought about thinning it down a bit but to be honest I prefer the sort of soup that sticks to your ribs.

So the verdict. I used the slow cooker. For too long so parts of it became a little well done which did affect the taste a somewhat. However I think I would definately make it again. Not sure I could be persuaded to use the carrot peelings though. Might be a step too far ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message, speak after the beep ;)